There is a woman on my other twitter account who complains about everything. I mean everything. She cheated on her husband, and as a result got pregnant with her third child. Now that she is a single parent (though only has the children part time) she does not stop with the sob stories. She can't afford this or that, she gets absolutely no time to herself, blah blah blah.
This isn't the part that bothers me. Get this: other people and businesses have started giving her services and products for free. A free makeover, thousands of dollars worth of face products, coupons for makeup, offers of childcare, free accounting services. In return, she tweets and blogs about how wonderful these people are. In spite of this insanity generosity, her incessant complaints haven't slowed down.
I had to unfollow her, but it got me thinking. How come parents are allowed to complain to no end? She is by far not the only one (we all have facebook). What I don't get is they chose the situation they are in, we did not, yet can you imagine if I went on a complaining rampage? Would I get donations towards fertility treatments? Would free consults with lawyers re adoption be offered up? What about sperm donations? We have no spare money for me to buy fancy face products, makeup, clothing- everything goes towards the future baby. Would I get all of this for free if I didn't shut up about my horrible situation? No, everyone would avoid me and I would become the insane woman (more so than I am now, I mean).
Honestly, somedays I do want to blow up on facebook and twitter; tell the world what it's really like. To that fertile complaining they can't go out for the third night in a row, why can't I make a rude comment? Why am I not allowed to put them down, the way they put all of us down everyday with their complaints or stupid advice.
I really need to get ahold of this bitterness, aye? I'm not a nasty person, but I have been through a lot in life and don't make a song and dance about it. I just carry on. I'm not even sure which is the healthier option- to keep quiet, or to shout at everyone who will listen. Oh, therapist, please come back from holiday soon.
[I am not saying parenting is easy- having been a round-the-clock nanny, I know the emotional and physical exhaustion that comes. I just wish certain parents could find the public balance between struggling and gratefulness, and think before they post. I think this place agrees with me]
Vicky xx

No comments:
Post a Comment