Monday, February 7, 2011

My favorite topic : spermatozoa

I would never have guessed that T's testicles would be discussed in such depth; especially with our parents. He weathers it well, amazing man.

We are completely confused about what is going on. Our situation as it stands:

  • Only one testicle is partially functioning, the other is small and retracts sometimes (making him at greater risk for testicular cancer- waiting for consult on surgery)
  • His testosterone is incredibly low. Waiting for endocrinologist appointment so we know how to treat this for his general health. From what I've read though, this wouldn't help sperm production?
  • He makes some sperm (the six little guys shown in last sperm analysis show this) but by the time they make it out, they aren't moving. This points to his sperm production being extremely low, as opposed to a blockage I think?
  • The doctor as this stage doesn't want to do TESE because of the risk of damage to functioning testicle. (I have found one article after lots of googling, and it raises no concern over performing TESE when only one testicle present. Utterly confused about this point)
  • Waiting to hear what the scrotal ultrasound shows. Waiting to hear what more extensive blood tests show.

I am calling clinic tomorrow to see what the deal is and who we see next. If nothing else, I want them to read out all of T's test results to me.

We were told that we would do ICSI, now who the heck knows. It hurts that everything is on hold while we wait for the public health system to get T in to two separate specialists. This could take 6 months. If they won't do TESE, the wait for donor sperm is now at 18 months. (Really wishing it wasn't illegal to import sperm. Maybe if I hid it in my luggage or something? Or have a friend in the states send me a sample on ice- I'll say it's some sort of food?)

I'm frustrated, but calm. I know we have to wait- and at the same time are running out of time for my body- but I don't feel hopeless. I just get annoyed being in limbo. I like answers and concrete plans. This is the opposite of that.

That's enough about sperm for now...


After you saw "Happy Sperm, Soap on a Rope" that is. Oh, internet, you never fail to amaze me.


Vicky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment