Thursday, February 3, 2011

Make it better, please?



I like where we live, we get to live so close to pristine beaches, amazing forests, just incredible unspoiled nature. We are close to T's family and some of mine. T has a job he couldn't have at this stage anywhere else, and he just adores it.


However, it's a small country which means access to infertility treatment is very limited. There are only two IF clinics- one publicly funded, one private. We waited 4 months to get an initial appointment with public place. The usual wait is 6 months, I think that's the only bit of luck we've had in this whole fiasco. I left that appointment crying and vowed never to go back. The doctor was the most insensitive b*stard I have ever met- no exaggeration! So, we moved on to the private clinic. 


Health insurance will not cover any part of IF treatment- they view it as purely elective. So, we have to shell out insane amounts on a regular basis. In spite of this, things are not moving along.


Three appointments (each at least a month apart) has gotten us nowhere except a suggestion of seeing an endocrinologist (note- not an reproductive endocrinologist) and a urologist (again, not a reproductive one). My PCOS was finally diagnosed, so I guess that *is* something.


Last time we saw doctor he wanted more blood work for T, and a scrotal ultrasound to review before he sent through the referrals for the above specialists. Both of these things we completed 6 weeks ago. So, last week, after waiting 5 weeks for the phone call telling us who to see, I called to check what was going on. The nurse guaranteed me she would immediately show the doctor our file, and have him get back to us. A week ago. 


I'm sick of this. I'm tired of them not getting back to us, I'm tired of waiting so many weeks between appointments. It scares me in regards to IVF- this bad service would drive me insane during a procedure we are paying so many thousands for.


The nurses at the clinic are incredible, I can't fault them. They do everything they can, are ridiculously supportive and always happy. I'm not sure if it's just our particular doctor that's a bit slack. There is no other clinic to go to. There *are* other doctors at this clinic, but how awkward would it be to switch within a clinic? Plus I know nothing of the other doctors.


Do I call the clinic tomorrow and ask why we haven't had a call? I understand that we cannot proceed with any IF treatments until they find out what is going on with T, so we aren't an "urgent" case, but I still expect good service. I expect to be given the information I need in a timely fashion.


(Image courtesy of Google)




The other gripe I have about treatment here is access to donor sperm (and eggs, but as far as we know, this isn't needed in our situation). Since the law states it's illegal to pay for donations, there's a shortage. The wait for sperm is about two years, and you don't get to be picky with what you get. I am still holding on to hope that T's sperm will pull through and the doctor will perform the procedures he is hesitant to, but I know we need to prepare ourselves for this option. However, a freaking two year wait? No.


All of this is leading me to think I want to come back to the States for treatment. The cost will be astronomical without insurance, plus plane tickets, but it would be much better treatment. I think. 


Now, how to find a clinic in California when I am so very far away? The logistics of this makes my head hurt, but it may be our only option. Time will tell.




On a not related, but kinda related, note: it only took five phone calls, but we are now on the list for adoption information night. First open spot is in May, though they promised if there were any cancellations we would be told. T is suddenly (I mean, overnight) supportive of adoption and thinks we should start the ball rolling since it takes so long. Of course, the decision to adopt would not be taken lightly, nor is it being viewed as a "last" option, it's something I've always wanted to do!  




[Update: I may be a tad emotional and reactive right now. I just checked my voicemail, and there were two messages from a nurse at the clinic. I hadn't picked them up because I thought they were from my mom (who I sometimes avoid- shhhh). I feel like an idiot. Ah well. Still, the other points remain!]


Vicky xx



2 comments:

  1. So sorry for all your difficulty with your doctor's office! I've come to realize after talking to others, this seems pretty normal in most offices. Having to wait for phone calls, information etc. I've learned it's easier to communicate via email with the doctor's nurse and information comes much faster. You have to make yourself known, and be persistant! Have you thought of traveling to another town and staying at a hotel while during treatment? I know that's also expensive but if you are able to, it might be a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emailing is a fantastic idea! I'm getting right on it.

    Also, feel a bit better knowing that it's not just me! Having to hound people is definitely not my strong point. I guess I have to learn to be more pushy!!

    ReplyDelete