Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It can be for the best

I can't count how many times I've been told our infertile status is for a reason. I despise when people tell me this, however, I'm choosing to call this one of our "reasons".


I had been noticing T change over the past 6 months. He was tired, a little moody, had no enthusiasm. Things have moved on to him being always exhausted, reactive to everything, finding joy in nothing. T is usually full of energy and positive so this was strange. Neither of us had any idea what to think. Our usual doctor checked his thyroid and contemplated placing him on medication for depression.


We first saw Dr. Fertility last year (it took us a wee while to get some $ together as insurance will cover nothing). He did the normal SA and blood work for T. Then, more extensive blood work (we weren't sure why). Dr. Fertility said that T's hormones were incredibly low- especially his cortisol- and he needed to see an Endocrinologist. He asked if T was feeling tired, weak, dizzy, not able to handle stress- it all finally clicked. We went back to usual doctor, who made T get a nasty test to stimulate his pituitary gland before the referral. Right now, we are waiting for T's appointment with the Endocrinologist. And Urologist, but that's another story...


I am grateful for this. If we weren't having trouble conceiving, we wouldn't know T had messed up hormones. Right now, we don't know the cause or the treatment for his situation- but at least we are aware of it. Knowing T, he would have attributed how he was feeling to "getting older" or some such silliness, and wouldn't see the doctor. Extremely low cortisol long term is fatal (according to the internets, anyways) so this is a blessing.


[He is getting harder to handle by the day, and to be honest, I'm extremely worried. I've never seen him so lethargic and sad. I'm changing his diet to what I guess would help- higher protein, more vegetables, less carbs. I'm not sure what else to suggest to him. Supplements? More exercise? Amount of sleep doesn't seem to make a difference. This is where an unhappy smiley face should go]


But, for now we wait to see if the public health system can deliver in a timely fashion*




*I miss America




Vicky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment