Monday, April 11, 2011

When AF won't leave

I have been bleeding for six whole weeks and I can't take it anymore. We aren't talking spotting, or a few days on and a few off. This is full blown, a new tampon and pad needed every hour, doubled over in pain type stuff. Nonstop.

Needless to say, I haven't been feeling well. The past few weeks on Provera did nothing to stop the bleeding- a first. Last week I hardly left my bed. I only stumbled out of our bedroom to feed myself or clean the blood. It was pathetic and I've had an impossible time trying to get help. My doctor said I needed to see my gynae, my gynae said she doesn't deal with acute cases so I needed to see my doctor again. Back and forth I went, no care I got. Husband finally took me to the hospital after I woke him up in the middle of the night and promptly fainted on him. I maintain I didn't faint, I just lost my balance a little!

I was actually sure I was dying at that point (I'm not melodramatic, honest). The bleeding and pain were so excessive I was getting scared. My earlier google searches were of no help either, Dr. Google said it was either PCOS or cancer. When we first arrived at the hospital, things went well. The first gynaecologist I saw gave me a med to help me clot. The bleeding slowed down and I started to perk up. I even got some colour in my cheeks! Ah, I felt human again and was so excited to get home to tackle the piles of dirty laundry and dishes that had been collecting. Many hours of boring hospital waiting later, and a delicious coffee brought over by my sister, it was handover time and I got booted out with strict instruction to stop taking Provera and no more clotting medicine for me. Apparently, because my blood work all came back within normal range, it's fine for me to keep bleeding. The second gynae I saw said "You just need to live with it" when I questioned him about how I was meant to cope with the endless bleeding and pain.

I am seeing my normal doctor again tomorrow and I am hoping he can help. Or know of someone who can. I have been either asleep or in tears for days. This is most certainly not something I can just learn to live with. If I am up and around for more than ten minutes, I get extremely dizzy. It's comforting to know my blood work says I am ok, but my body isn't completely coping. It's clear that the past year of fairly light periods have caused this. If nothing else, I know the bleeding has to end eventually- right? Just, could that be tomorrow not another month?

I'm not sure what can be done looking forward. Birth control pills are the only tool for management of PCOS that's been suggested.

Meanwhile, I have ruined all of my underwear and all of our sheets. This is becoming a very expensive stay, Aunt Flo.


Vicky xx


P.S. I'm sorry for the TMI nature of this post, I'm a bit beyond it at this stage... Right, back to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment